Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Digs

The spring semester is about to begin...ONLY 5 more days!

Today, I attempted to run a few aggregate stability tests, which measure the proportion of soil aggregates that stay clumped together after being agitated in water. Ultimately the tests are used to assess how vulnerable the soil is to water erosion. In the process, I was side-tracked with other items that were on my to do list and by the time I got back around to my research, I found out the deionized water had been shut off! So, I packed everything up and will try again tomorrow. At least I got a few other things done and everything is set up to jump right in once the water is turned back on!

While running around, I took a few shots of my new office to share. It's way up on the 6th floor, so we have a pretty decent view - which is great! I have windows now, so I made sure to bring in some plants! As you can see, it filled up fast with everything I've accumulated throughout my 6 years of graduate school. The neat part is that my previous office mate was also move into this office - so no worries about not getting along!



I even have a little ginko seedling! It is pretty cold in my office right now, so I am hoping it will trigger it to senesce (drop its leaves) and stimulate new growth! Either way, it sure does have a great view of the castle!


There is a small foyer outside of the cluster of offices up there that used to be full of old papers and cabinets. We've since cleaned it out and turned it into a cozy waiting room for students who venture up to our office hours (although no students will be coming to see me for office hours this semester!). We've also made it homey by adding a few plants, so now the view is extra pleasant to sit and chat. It is our escape from stress! :)



Anyway, hopefully the DI water is back on tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment